Thursday 10 March 2011

A very different way of reaching the lost that worked

I was speaking to a very good friend of mine the other day on the telephone regarding different ways to reach people with the good news of Jesus Christ. While we were having our chat we both quoted the same scripture simultaneously from 2 Corinthians 9: 22-23 where Paul says: “I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings”. Our conversation made me remember a method of evangelism that another good friend used sometime ago which proved to be very effective. Now this idea may or may not be for you, but people were won to Christ through it. What do you think?


The friend I speak of is the Pastor of a thriving church in the Midlands area of Great Britain. His fellowship is blessed with a number of quality musicians who have a real heart for God and leading the church into the presence of the Lord. As a
result of that the worship is very good there.



The leadership were led by the Holy Spirit and a decision made to run music tuition classes every Saturday morning as a form of outreach to the local community. At the sessions people were taught how to play keyboards, guitars, bass guitars and drums. The classes were well attended by young people from the locality. After some weeks a number of the students were invited to play in the worship band at Sunday morning and evening services. When my friend told me this some months after this happened, I suppose I got a little religious because I felt that it was not the norm. Well, certainly not in my own fellowship anyway. I was taught that only people that knew Christ could be in the worship team. I remember saying “Oh, I don’t know how our church would feel about doing something like that”. The answer I got back surprised me. He replied “Well I baptised four drummers last week”. Wow! Since then more young people have given their lives to Jesus, Even some when I had the privilege of speaking there.


God is so good. At those meetings attendance numbers increased dramatically as family members came along to watch the young people play. Those people came under the sound of the Gospel, in the worship, and the preaching of Gods word. I believe that the number of newcomers was better than some other forms of outreach that had been
used in the past.
Now, I am not a pastor of a church, but I do my best to do the work of an evangelist. But in my own religious attitude at the time, if I was leading a church, it would have been very likely indeed that I would have been against the idea. The simple reason being, that it didn’t quite fit in with the way that I had been taught in the past. Now you may think this idea doesn’t even seem slightly radical to you as you read this. But the honest truth is, to me at the time, it was. If
you asked me the question today, “Do you think the end result justified the means”? My answer would be a definite “Yes”.
The question is then. What would your answer be? Let me know what you think?



1 comment: