Friday 22 April 2011

Do we have to change the Gospel so that it becomes acceptable?

Something I have noticed for quite sometime is that some speakers and preachers have started to change their tune when presenting the Gospel. I am not saying that they are heretics or that they are spouting off messages that are contrary to the message of salvation.

We are in a world which is rapidly changing and as a result, we need to change with it. As evangelists and witnesses we sometimes have to come up with different methods to reach a lost world. We need new ideas on how to effectively make Jesus known to the masses. However, when presenting the Gospel, we need to be very careful that we do not change the important message of salvation.

It concerns me that in order to reach people without offending them, some people decide to remove words from preaching such as ‘Hell’ because they don’t want to offend the seeker. Jesus spoke about Hell a great deal. Why would He do that? Perhaps it was because it was quite important. Should we no longer preach on those parts of the Bible? I could write a book on that alone.

In recent times I have heard that the word ‘Sin’ in some cases is being replaced by the word ‘Mistakes’ and ‘Lord’ is being replaced by the name ‘Manager’. Though similar in some ways, when looking into the real meaning of the words there are some major fundamental differences, which are extremely important. It has been said that these words are either replaced or removed because they are old fashioned so people of today won’t understand them.

Over time, language evolves and in some instances, a word has a totally different meaning nowadays than in years gone by - such as the word ‘wicked’ which once described something evil, to today’s generation is an indication of approval!  However, if the words are read and followed by an explanation of their meaning, then the message is made clear. I don’t believe that Jesus died for (my own our ‘mistakes’ and I certainly didn’t make Him ‘manager’ of my life. He is Lord!

The word ‘mistake’ can cover many different things, such as an error in calculation, doing something wrong through ignorance, poor reasoning or carelessness and a lack of knowledge.

Doesn’t it say in Hosea 4:6 My people perish from a lack of knowledge”?  

Key Point: We must not forget that sin has a power, whereas mistakes do not

However we read in scripture in Romans 6:6 that sin has a power. We also learn that people come become slaves to sin. Do mistakes have a power? No, Jesus broke the power of sin in our lives through His sacrificial death on the cross.
Three scriptures sum it up:

For He made Him who knew no sin (Mistakes) to be sin (Mistakes) for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21
Therefore, just as through one man sin (Mistakes) entered the world, and death through sin (Mistakes), and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned. (Made mistakes) Romans 5:12
Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, (Mistakes) but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord (Manager). Romans 6:11

A manager generally means a person responsible for planning and directing the work of a group of individuals, monitoring their work and taking corrective action when necessary.

The term ‘Lord’ is described as Master, Owner, Supreme Despot (there are both good and bad despots), King and someone who possesses supreme authority. I could give many more definitions.  

Consider the following three scriptures, which I believe give the answer. The first connects ‘Lord’ with deity.

And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord (Manager) and my God!” John 20-28
And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, (Manager) if You are willing, You can make me clean.” Matthew 8-2
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord (Manager) and Christ.”         Acts 2-36
If we change important words we risk watering down the Gospel message, by making it easy to say something like “Jesus, I have made a few mistakes, give me a new start and be my manager”? (I It is very different from being convicted of our sinful nature by the Holy Spirit and genuinely making Jesus the supreme authority of our lives, letting Him get involved in our thoughts, money, marriage and relationships.

We all make mistakes don’t we? Oh and dare I say it, we sometimes sin as well. The good news is that if we have made Jesus Lord of our lives, we become sinners saved by His grace. I thank the Lord for this scripture:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Should we stick to the words that may jolt or perhaps even offend occasionally, or should we change them so that they are pleasing to the ears?

What do you think?








4 comments:

  1. I am somewhat relieved, to find that I am not alone in these views. I was beginning to think that it was simply me being a little old-fashioned in my ways, but I was ministered to as a youngster with the terminology of "Hell","sin" and "Lord" which, even back then, were not exactly everyday terms. To a great extent, I felt that the language and terminology of the Bible was part of what made it all stand out as something special and different to the everyday terminology. When I hear and see some of the ways that our young church members are being given instruction, I tend to cringe a little. I would hate to see the biblical terminology lost to our future church, for, after all, they are the future. I find that as we grow in Christ and He grows in us, He reveals everything to us in a far better way than simply changing a few words to make them more amenable in the current time. God bless.

    Bob Yallup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob,

    Thanks for your comments. I was with a very sucessful evangelist last weekend called William Gypsy Lee who has led many thousands to Christ over the last few years. I am part of an international evangelistic group to which he paid a visit. Part of his message was about preaching the pure Gospel. He said don't dilute it. Saying we must go to war with the Gospel, but we will get shot at.

    We will offend some, as the cross is an offence to many.

    Good to hear from you and keep in touch.

    Every Blessing

    Moray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking a stand for Christ and the truth of His Word. WE cannot play fast and loose with what the scripture teaches. It is the TRUTH whether we choose to believe it or not. I am grateful for those who are not ashamed of the Gospel....but teach it in its fullness and truth. I appreciate what you have written!!! Blessings and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara thank you for your kind comments.

    We must resist tampering with the Gospel and keep it pure,

    It the the power unto salvation to the who believe. Blessings Moray

    ReplyDelete