Thursday 13 October 2011

Are you grateful for the cross?






When someone does a big favour for you, or perhaps gives you a lovely present, do you find it easy to show your gratitude? How grateful would you be if a fireman saved you from certain death in a house fire? Or perhaps a person pushed you out of the way of a bus that was going to run you over? How would you demonstrate your thanks?

You would surely agree that after this you would tell everyone about your amazing near death experience. People would listen because you would enthusiastically explain every detail of the dramatic event that took place.

Well, if you know Jesus as Lord of your life then you have been saved from a lost eternity away from God in a place of torment. If you don’t already do so, shouldn’t you tell people about it? I will quote key scriptures repeatedly as they are the truth and help us share important points effectively.

“Go and preach the Gospel to all creation” Matthew 16: 15

When Jesus gave the command in the well known scripture above, He wasn’t just talking to the disciples. No, He was talking to you and me too. The other point to remember is that He wasn’t making a suggestion. In other words “Go” is not a discussion point. Yes, He was giving us a command, but knowing because of our love for Him that we should be ready and willing to act upon His will. 

"If you love me, you will obey what I command” 
John 14: 15

This scripture leaves us with an important question that needs to be asked:

How do you demonstrate your gratitude for the cross?

The simple fact is that unless we receive Christ as Lord and Saviour by repenting of our sin, we really are destined for a miserable lost eternity in a place that was prepared for Satan and his cohorts. Jesus died a horrific death so that we might be saved and go to heaven. The question is how do we show that we are grateful for the work of the Cross and how is that outworked in our Christian walk?

Key Point: Your gratitude for the work of the cross should be outworked in your life and be there for all to see

One of my favourite scriptures is in Jeremiah 29: 11 where we read something amazing. God says through the prophet:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” Jeremiah 29: 11

I love reading that verse. I am very grateful that the Lord is saying it to me and you. No doubt you feel the same way as I do when you read about the amazing plan that God has for you. For many, a good part of a person’s gratitude is shown by communing in prayer, praising God, worshipping Him and spending time in His word.

When we consider the mighty redemptive work that Jesus did through his death for us at Calvary, shouldn’t it compel us to witness?

As I write this, the words of the old Hymn “At the cross” come to mind. The words of the verses and the chorus explain why we should be sharing the Gospel. Hymn writers wrote out of their experience of coming to faith in Jesus Christ. I love to read these because they are full of the Gospel.

Alas! and did my Saviour bleed
And did my Sov’reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
’Tis all that I can do.
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

A “Witness” is a person who testifies for a cause or has personal knowledge of a particular event that has taken place. A Christian witness must have a first-hand experience of Christ. You will know that hearsay is not acceptable if you are a witness in a court of law. You must tell the facts as they are.

As believers we need to be able to express verbally and also witness practically - through our lifestyle, our work, our relationships, our attitudes and through the problems and the many challenges in life that will inevitably come our way.

Sadly, too many believers have stopped becoming ‘fishers of men’. We must make His great commission our mission. If we really love Jesus and are thankful for what He did for us at Calvary, we will and that includes getting involved in activity to grow individually within the church as well as witnessing outside of church.

Our gratitude should be demonstrative. At the very least, we should be as keen to share the Gospel as much as we are when speak to others of how we saved money on petrol, or discovered a good restaurant.

We had a lovely meal the other day. We experienced friendly service, a nice atmosphere, excellent food and above all it was at a good price. We have told quite a number of friends about it. I am sure you have done the same when you have a good experience.

Jesus knew what He was going to have to endure to purchase our salvation, yet He still did it. As the old saying goes, “While He was on the cross, you were on His mind”.

In the light if this, the very least we can do is to tell people about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment