Friday 28 March 2014

Where is sharing the gospel in your prioroty list?


Recently I have received numerous cold calls and, emails and also seen many advertisements on social media on how to make money, save money and all manner of things related to wealth. It can be very irritating to be bombarded with these things. In addition, I have people in businesses offering me money-making schemes and ‘opportunities of a lifetime that will increase prosperity and create a fantastic life’!

With every one of these, the people and companies are really enthusiastic, exhibiting a strong belief in their product, business or service.

All of this has made me ask myself, “What’s more important, making money, saving money or saving souls”?  Before you start thinking that I mean that we shouldn’t be motivated by doing well in our jobs and businesses. Let me make it clear, I am not saying that for a minute.

I worked in business for many years and was a very high achiever. I loved it: the excitement, the ups, the downs, the goals, just about all of it! We all need to earn money to live and hopefully have some left over to save for rainy days and for when we get old and grey.

I believe this challenging question about ‘what is most important?’ is something we seriously need to consider especially with the way that the world and society is rapidly changing. People need to know about the One who died for them and how He can help them in daily life. The vital part is that they come to know Jesus died a painful death so that they might have eternal life. God made a choice to use both you and me to share the all important message. If we don’t tell people, who else will?

The question is, where does sharing this important life changing news with others come in your list of priorities?

I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.” 1 Corinthians 15:3–4

Paul used the words, “Of first importance” when he wrote to the Corinthians explaining that Jesus died for our sins and how He was raised on the third day. Reading the scripture caused me to ask myself the question “What is of first importance in my life?”

Key Point: Ask yourself the question, “What is of first importance in my life”?

Having a sense of urgency is very important in any business, certainly in the sales industry where I come from. Working in sales means constantly seeking and creating opportunities to get appointments to sell.

My boss set a great example of how to remain focused and committed. When he was a sales person, he would carry five coins in his left trouser pocket. He would make appointments by cold calling, referrals or face to face and would transfer one coin to his left pocket each time he was successful. He would not go home until he had moved all of the coins from left to right pocket.

Remembering this made me ponder - what would happen if we as Christians had a similar focus on sharing Jesus in some way every day, let alone five times a day? What would happen?

I use exercises like the one below when I teach classes on self awareness. Being totally honest with your answers will tell you a lot about yourself.

Here is a list of priorities that I have written in a random order. Rate how you important these things are to you, numbering them 1 to 10.

·        Family

·        God

·        Prayer

·        Reading Gods word

·        Giving financially, supporting the church

·        Work

·        Hobbies and pastimes

·        Church attendance

·        Witnessing for Christ

·        Serving in the church

I have completed a list myself and it has made me examine my own priorities.

Recently my pastor and friend used a terrific prop when he preached a message about the subject of faith. He placed a chair in the centre of the stage and asked the congregation how they would pray if God was actually sitting there in front of them. How would we pray about a need or a desire that we had? Would we pray differently if we could actually see Him in the room?

Thinking along those lines, what would the Lord think of your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment