Tuesday 17 June 2014

Does God have a sense of humour?

The event I describe below is one that I will never forget. Looking back now I remember it very fondly. When it actually happened though, my feelings were the exact opposite. I never believed that I would share this story the number of times that I have over the years when speaking about my journey to finding Christ. This story and others like it can be found in my book "A Fall From The Top". 


I often say that I believe that God has a sense of humour, because many of the things that I used to despise about Christians, I now do myself! Yes, I am often the man that knocks the front door to say "Hello, I am from your local church”, or the person who stands on a street with a microphone sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Before becoming a Christian I particularly disliked anyone involved in preaching. Well, I am delighted to say that I do a lot of that now. God is so good! 


The Lord is able to use our situations when we yield ourselves to Him - even our struggles and hardest times. Through my own life experiences I am able to empathise with people who have been through similar circumstances. When people know that you really understand and care, it builds trust and credibility. From there you can then point people to the truth of the Gospel.  

The great Christian motivational speaker Zig Ziglar often used to say, “People don’t care what you know, until they know how much you care!” I used to listen to his sales training tapes over and over again while driving long distances between my offices. I have never forgotten the statement. I can confirm its validity because you will see the hardest people open up when they know you genuinely care.

Key Point: The Lord is able to use our experiences when we yield ourselves to Him.

You could be witnessing to  a person who may be going through a really difficult time and in what they feel is an impossible situation. We know that God can transform situations when people allow Him to move in their lives. I often explain that I know He can turn things around because He transformed the life of a self obsessed, money grabbing, lying, cheating, adulterer. Yes, that was me! The amazing thing is that He now uses me to share the good news!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose". Romans 8:2

This is the excerpt:  I didn’t have a full licence to drive a car on my own at the time, as I had not yet passed my driving test. I used to get a lift to work with our Butchery Manager, Terry Ford. He used to pick me up with his wife and children.

They were a Christian family and his wife was one of those ‘happy clappy people’. She would say things that irritated me, like “Praise the Lord” and “Thank you Jesus”. She reminded me of the weird Christians I had seen on television some years before.

I considered her and all other Christians to be the same type of people. I disliked them all and believed that they were all weaklings that used Jesus as some sort of crutch. To me being a church goer was the total opposite of karate which had taught me about building self belief and inner strength, which was nothing like what I thought being a Christian was.

One Friday afternoon when we on our way home from work with Terry and his family, we got stuck in a traffic jam in the centre of the town. We were moving along very slowly in the car in a busy area. We came to a standstill behind a white Triumph Herald. A sign that was stuck on the lower middle part of the back window gradually came into focus. It read in bold print, “TOOT IF YOU LOVE JESUS!” “Oh no!” I thought, “Oh Please don’t let her notice it there.” She saw it and with a big smile on her face she said at the top of her voice, “Oh look, Praise the Lord!” I hoped that she would only give the horn a quick thump, but oh no, she waved to the person in the car in front and hit the horn long and hard “TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!”,"TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!", "TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!"

I felt extremely embarrassed and believed everyone was staring at me. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Everyone was laughing in the car except me. I sat there with my arms folded and had a look of total disgust on my face. I resented her for doing it and I even started walking to work because of it. On the odd occasion I saw her, it was very difficult for me to even speak to her.

I hope this story made you smile or even laugh. You have a story to share. Go and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment