Friday 20 May 2011

When does the Good News actually become Good News?

A while ago I was on a street mission in the city of Newport, South Wales. It was a busy Saturday afternoon in a very poor part of the area, where there is a high level of unemployment. On that particular day, I was carrying out what some would term as ‘cringe factor evangelism’ – stopping with multiple choice answers; was He:- A good man, a prophet, the Son of God, or perhaps something else.

As often happens with this type of outreach, some people avoided me like the plague, others walked straight past, while some had brief conversations with me. It was a day of wonderful opportunities. I was delighted to have interesting and varied discussions with people of many different nationalities, as it is a very cosmopolitan place.

“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” 1 John 5: 13.

I spent about an hour with someone whose faith teaches that only a few people go to heaven, while the remaining ‘believers’ wait on the earth for their return. After much discussion I asked her, “Do you believe in Jesus?.” “Yes” she replied.

Throughout our discussion, this lady referred to her own faith’s version of the Bible in order to justify her beliefs; but it was very evident to me that the words were changed in the verses and not those from my Bible. She continued to explain that she knew that would not go to heaven and would wait for the “Chosen ones” to return.

As we spoke the following scriptures came to my mind:

 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.” Matthew 7: 13.
"Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?” Luke 6:39

I felt great sadness as our discussion progressed, because it was obvious that this pleasant lady didn’t have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Instead she chose to believe a doctrine that was not true, one which was leading her to a lost eternity.

Like many people today, she had a serious problem but didn’t know it. She based her opinion on something she had read and studied.  Over the years I have met many people who explain how to get (to heaven based on their own reasoning, such as: “There are many roads to heaven”, “I am not a bad person”, “I haven’t murdered anyone” and “I come from a Christian family and I go to church at Christmas”. There are - thousands of reasons that people come up with regarding why they think they will go to heaven.

I continued “I am very sad to hear what you are saying. Would you like to know that there is a way that you can be certain that when you die, that you will have eternal life and go to heaven?” “Yes,” she replied.  I answered “I don’t know what your version of the Bible will say, but could you please take a look at 1 John 5-13 and read it aloud?”

I felt under considerable pressure at that point, wondering if the fundamental scripture had been altered like the many others in her book, even more so because my mentor, an international evangelist with great experience, was alongside me! The lady eagerly read the section to us which thankfully was the same as the scripture I know. Gently I asked “What do you think of that?” In stunned silence, she just didn’t know how to reply. The good news was right in front of her yet she struggled to accept it. We chatted some more then she went on her way. I pray that the Lord reveals the truth to her heart before it’s too late.

The good news of the Gospel

When does the “good news” actually become good news? The answer being that it is at the point when a person acknowledges they have a very serious problem that they cannot solve themselves; understanding that they are destined for a lost eternity in a place that wasn’t meant for them - at THAT moment the Gospel becomes exactly what it means: GOOD NEWS! 

To realise that Jesus died a substitutionary death for them, then becomes the most wonderful news a person has ever heard. As an evangelist once said, “You must first get a person lost, before they realise they need a saviour”. True indeed.

As witnesses for Christ and evangelists we find that people come to Christ in many ways. Some just seem to know they need Jesus, others see the light. In most cases though, people have to realise they are lost before they can get saved. The church should be like a lifeboat seeking and saving the lost from death.

Key Point: Being a witness for Christ will mean getting stuck in sometimes

There will be times we have to get our hands dirty, pulling people out of the muck and mire, being involved in their lives in order to witness to them. The fantastic news is that the Holy Spirit, our Helper, will always be with us, all the way. After all, He is the one that gives the increase. There is nothing we can do in our own strength to save anybody.

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of leading my 8 year old daughter to Jesus. What a precious moment! Plus, in the evening my wife and I led a man to Christ in a small Alpha course we have been running locally. On our way home we noticed that our car was very low on fuel. I believe that our joy and excitement provided the energy to get us home! During the drive though, we were diverted because of a car accident. Two young men had been killed instantly just a mile or so from our home.  The sad news made me realise that time is short and we have a responsibility to fulfill.

Jesus didn’t give us “the great suggestion” He gave us “the great commission” which commands us to: 

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28: 19-20

Let’s get busy for Jesus asking Him to guide and empower us as we share the good news!

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to hear that your 8 year old daughter has come to know Christ as her Lord and Savior. A blessing to be certain! All four of our children have accepted Christ and we feel so blessed for this reason. Three of our four children are married to Christians too. God is faithful to us. We do need to tell our family, friends and those we meet about the Lord. Otherwise...how will they hear? Blessings on your ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,

    Yes we were delighted. We were talking about the Lord to our eleven year old son when Ellie asked if she could have Jesus in her heart.

    I have six children, 5 of which love the Lord. Just one left. Fantastic to learn about your children.

    Bless you.

    Moray

    ReplyDelete